Vidyo, a screen recorder app with a somewhat crazy name was available at $4.99 on the App Store in January. But then, not surprisingly, Apple’s reviewers realized its screen recording functionality and they immediately removed the app.
After that, there are some third-party sources that host this app. In fact, I did include this method in the previous post on how to record iOS devices’ screen. Sadly, it also did not work anymore, due to the certificates being revoked by Apple.
For those of you who haven’t heard of it, Vidyo is essentially an application that allows you to capture the entire screen, as well as all audio being played on the device. The same as AirShou, Vidyo works by simulating an AirPlay Mirroring connection to itself.
Of course, I won’t create this post just to tell you about its functionality. The good news is now you can install this great app again, by using a tool called Cydia Impactor. And it works for both iOS 9 & 10. Excited? Let’s dive in!
⇒ Don’t like Vidyo? Check out our full article – Best screen recorder tools for iOS 9 & 10.
How to install Vidyo on your iPhone
In order to use Cydia Impactor, you need a computer running macOS, Windows, or Linux. It’s a new tool developed by Saurik that allows you to install iPA files on your iPhone.
We will use Cydia Impactor to sideload the Vidyo iPA file. Please follow the instructions:
- Download the Vidyo iPA file [here]
- Download Cydia Impactor [here]. After downloading the compressed file, extract it and launch the main program.
- Connect your device to your computer. Note that your computer must have iTunes installed for the tool to work.
- Once connected, Cydia Impactor will display your device name on the app interface. Now open the folder containing the Vidyo iPA file, drag and drop the file onto the app interface. In my case, I put my file on the desktop.
- As soon as you drop the file, Cydia Impactor will ask you to provide your Apple ID account and password. You can use any active Apple ID accounts for this step.
- The program will start signing the iPA file. When you see the warning pop-up, click OK to confirm. It will continue the process. When Vidyo is installed successfully, you will see its app icon on the Home screen.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Profile & Device Management. From here, find the profile corresponding to Vidyo and trust it. Now the app is ready to use.
The downside of this method is that you will have to reinstall the app every week because Apple only provides free developer account with 7-days provisioning profile. However, I think this is still a great solution as the video quality is really good and no jailbreak is required.
How to use Vidyo to record iPhone screen
As you can see, Vidyo allows you to not only capture your screen, but it also allows you to capture device audio and microphone audio simultaneously.
From the main screen, you can tweak output options for resolution up to 1080p and 60fps. The app also comes with additional mixing features to import your own audio files and mix them with recordings to produce screencasts directly on your device.
To start capturing your screen, check the box beside Device Screen in the Video Source section. You can select either Device Audio or Microphone Audio, or both of them simultaneously as I mentioned before. Finally, hit the Start button located at the top-right corner, then tap Done.
Now all you to do is open Control Center and select Vidyo as an AirPlay source. The status bar will turn blue to indicate AirPlay Mirroring has been activated and Vidyo has started recording video in the background.
When you’re done, stop AirPlay and your recorded video will be saved automatically in the Photos app.
I’ve seen many people complaining that when they open the app, there is no option for Device Screen, as well as Device Audio. I will explain this issue now.
The reason you didn’t see these options is because you have turned off your Wi-Fi connection. AirPlay requires all devices to connect to the same Wi-Fi network, so your device must have Wi-Fi turned on to get it to work.
Thanks for reading!
Using the signloading method, you can also install other screen recorder apps such as BBRec or iRec. Videos recorded by these apps are not so good compared to Vidyo, but they offer other cool functionality and I’m sure it’s worth writing a tutorial about them. Believe me, they are coming!