You want to share the cellular data connection from your iPhone or iPad to other devices, but apparently, there is no option to turn on the Personal Hotspot feature?
Don’t worry, I’ve seen many users reporting that they are missing Personal Hotspot on their iPhone and iPad too. Especially, most of them encounter the issue after installing a new update. No matter what iOS version they are using, iOS 8, 9 or even iOS 10, it still happens…
If you did turn on Cellular data on your device but the Personal Hotspot feature is still missing, here are some workarounds you can try to bring it back to the Settings app. If it’s just a bug in the system, you can easily fix it.
Note: It is also important to note that Personal Hotspot is a carrier-dependent feature. Some carrier service providers do not provide the hotspot service. So you must be aware of this before moving on to the next steps. If your carrier does support personal hotspot and you have opted for it, try the solutions below to get it back.
How to Fix Missing Personal Hotspot on iPhone
Solution 1: Turn off and turn on Cellular data
Turning off and on again Cellular data can help resolve some network issues. Just go to Settings > Cellular and turn it off. Then wait for a few seconds and turn it back on. Check if Personal Hotspot is now available right beneath.
Note: Before turning it off, notice if it’s already present in the Cellular settings page. Sometimes, when the Personal Hotspot menu disappears from the main screen in the Settings app, you can still find it in another place.
Solution 2: Update APN Settings
- Go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network and go for APN setting
- Take a look at the Cellular Data section. If there’s any text in the APN field, make note of it. Scroll down to the Personal Hotspot section. In the APN field, type in the text you got from Cellular Data section before.
- If you didn’t see anything in the APN field under the Cellular Data section, just scroll down to the Personal Hotspot section and enter whatever text you like in the APN, Username, and Password fields.
- Now swipe from the left edge of the screen or tap the back button to go back to the previous screen. You should now see the toggle for Personal Hotspot. Tap on it to enable it.
Solution 3: Reset Network
- Tapp Settings
- Tap General
- Scroll all the way to the bottom and tap Reset
- Tap Reset Network Settings
- In the pop-up warning, tap Reset Network Settings.
Your iPhone will restart. When it’s done booting up, check the main Settings screen for the Personal Hotspot option.