Are you looking for a method to record your iPhone or iPad’s screen? If yes, then you’re in the right place. In this article, I will show you all the possible methods for recording the screen of your device. I’m sure you don’t have to go anywhere else to find other solutions after reading this post. Keep reading, everything is waiting for you!
How to record your iPhone/iPad’s screen
You might have known that Apple does not allow any applications to be published on App Store for this kind of purpose. The reason is if an app can capture the screen even after you quit the app, it could record or capture your information such as your accounts, your passwords and send them to the developers. You should be aware of this.
Fortunately, there are many alternatives out there that you can make use of, including:
- Using jailbreak tweaks (your device needs to be jailbroken)
- Using third-party apps from sources other than App Store.
- Using your Mac or Windows computer.
I’ve covered all of these methods below. Let’s try them out and see which works best for you.
I. Using jailbreak tweaks
To make use of Cydia tweaks, your device needs to be jailbroken first. If it has already been jailbroken and you’re not sure how to use Cydia to install jailbreak tweaks, then head over to this guide.
We’re going to install the jailbreak tweak named ‘Display Recorder’ by the developer @RyanPatrich. This one is the most well-known when it comes to iOS screen recorder tweaks. Let’s take a look at its features:
- Capturing a video of your device screen while also showing the taps (optional)
- Adjustable framerate, rotation/orientation and quality settings
- Recording mic audio (optional)
- Activator integration for quick access (cool)
- Many more…
The tweak is very easy to use. Once you’ve installed it, head into Settings and tap on Display Recorder to start configuring. Here you can see all the features I mentioned above.
After configuring, exit Settings and now you can open the Display Recorder and start recording your screen. All resulting videos will be saved within the app. You can choose the option to save it to the Camera Roll as well.
Display Recorder is compatible with iOS 7, 8 and 9 and costing $4.99.
In case your device is running iOS 7 or iOS 8, and this tweak doesn’t work flawlessly, you can try other tweaks like Shou and RecordMyScreen.
II. Using third-party apps (No jailbreak)
You can install AirShou from this link [iEmulators] using Safari browser. Scroll down until you see the AirShou icon, like in the following image:
Tap on the icon and then tap the Install AirShou button.
If the link above does not work for you, then try this
If you’ve downloaded successfully the AirShou app, you will see its icon on your home screen. But the app is still not available to use now. Don’t believe me? Just tap on it, you will see the screen telling you that AirShou has not been trusted on your device.
How can you make it a trusted app? Well, all you have to do is follow the instructions below:
- Go to Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management
- On this page, you may find several enterprise apps
- Choose the profile corresponding to AirShou.
- Tap on the Trust button and one more time to confirm. Now the app is ready for using.
» How to use AirShou
If you open the app for the first time, you will need to log in with Shou.TV – which is a gaming service. You can alternatively use your Facebook, Google or Twitter account to quickly log in.
After you enter the title and select the orientation, tap on next step. Now swipe up to access Control Center, tap on AirPlay and select your own device from the AirPlay list, make sure that Mirroring is toggled on for it. AirShou will automatically start recording the screen as soon as AirPlay connected.
Note that using the AirShou app is not a permanent method. When the certificate of the app is revoked, it will be unable to install (“AirShou could not be installed at this time”), and even if you already have the app installed on your device, it is no longer available to use.
Vidyo was available for download on the App Store with the price tag of $4.99. But then, not surprisingly, Apple has pulled off the app from the store because of the screen recording functionality.
Fortunately, you can now install this app by sideloading its iPA file. Here is the newest tutorial on how to install and use Vidyo. The process of installing the app requires using a computer running macOS, Windows PC, or Linux.
⇒ Want to hide your photos? Check out this article: How to Actually Hide Photos and Videos on iPhone
(3) BB Rec
BB Rec is another screen recorder app that takes advantage of AirPlay mirroring, like AirShou and Vidyo. The reason I think BB Rec is worth mentioning in this article is that this app also allows you to broadcast your screen through a streaming server. The app interface is quite simple. You can start capturing as well as find your videos right from the main screen.
To install BB Rec, you can use two methods:
- Download the app from vShare App Market.
- Sideload the iPA file, just like how we install Vidyo. Click [here] to download the IPA file of BB Rec and follow the post on how to sideload iPA files to install the app.
III. iOS screen recorder apps for Mac and Windows
If you hate the status bar turning to blue while mirroring, try this solution. QuickTime is a native feature on Mac computers that allows you to record iPhone/iPad screen with ease.
To get started capturing a video of an iPhone or iPad screen with QuickTime, you’ll need a lightning cable and your Mac must be running OS X Yosemite or later.
Now follow the steps below:
- Connect your iOS device to your Mac (you need to “Trust” your Mac for the first time)
- Launch QuickTime, select File > New Movie Recording from the menu bar. (you can use keyboard shortcut Option-Command-N alternatively)
- A recording window will appear. Click on the little arrow next to the record button to reveal the drop down menu and then select your device.
- You can also change the microphone and video quality options. If you want to record the audio directly from your device, choose your device as the Microphone.
- After setting up, click the red Record button to begin. To stop recording, hit the stop button in the QuickTime preview window. You can then save the recording as a .mov file on your Mac, or you can edit the video within QuickTime and convert it to another video format.
I want to share with you a free application named LonelyScreen. Here are download links:
LonelyScreen is an AirPlay receiver for Windows and MAC. It is like an Apple TV running on your desktop. You can cast anything from your iPhone or iPad to your computer screen just like an Apple TV.
After installing the application, all you have to do is launch it and on your iOS device, open Control Center – turn on “Airplay” – and select LonelyScreen (The default name). Now you will see your device screen projected to the computer screen. Just click the red Record button to start and stop recording.
Thanks for reading!
It takes me a lot of effort to complete this post. Let me know if one of these methods helps you. That will definitely make my day!