An iPA file is a file with the .ipa extension. It is an iOS application archive file which stores an iOS app. In other words, each .ipa file functions as a container (like ZIP) for holding the various pieces of data that make up an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch app.
In this post, I will be showing you how to install iPA files on your iOS device using an application called Cydia Impactor.
About Cydia Impactor, if you’re a user who knows about Jailbreak, you must have heard of it as a jailbreak tweak for removing Cydia. Recently, Saurik (the man behind the former Cydia Impactor tweak) has renamed the tweak to Cydia Eraser and the name Cydia Impactor is used for his new tool, which we will be using in this tutorial.
So, the Cydia Impactor tool we know today is an application that works on macOS, Windows, and Linux. It allows you to install/sideload ipa files into your iPhone and iPad without using Xcode, which is a tool used for app development and available only for macOS.
Now without further ado, let’s see how to use Cydia Impactor.
• Step 1: Download Cydia Impactor. [Download Link]
There are versions available for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux too. Choose the right one that is compatible with your platform. After downloading, spend 10 seconds to take look at the instruction:
For iOS, if you are using either Windows or macOS, you definitely need to have iTunes installed for this tool to work (for different reasons). You do not need Xcode installed to use Impactor (even for features such as signing IPA files).
• Step 2: Connect your iOS device to your computer.
• Step 3: Extract the downloaded ZIP file, and launch the program. For example, if you use Windows, extract the file and launch Impactor.exe. The app interface is like below, it will recognize and display your device name on the first box.
• Step 4: Drag and drop the .ipa file onto the app interface. As soon as you drop the file, it will ask you to provide your Apple ID account and password. Note that you can use any active Apple ID accounts for this step.
• Step 5: When the warning pop-up shows up, hit OK to confirm. Cydia Impactor will start signing the iPA file into your device. Once the iPA file is installed successfully, Cydia Impactor will return to its start interface. You can now start using the new app.
In some cases, when you open an app for the first time, you will see a pop-up saying “Untrusted Enterprise Developer”. To resolve it, go to Settings > General > Profile & Device Management. On this page, find the profile corresponding to the app and trust it.
Note: Cydia Impactor is an alternative for Xcode when it comes to sideloading iPA files into iOS devices. So the same as Xcode, if you are using a free Apple developer account, the app’s certificate will expire in seven days. It means you will have to repeat this process to get your app again after a week of using.
That’s the drawback of this method. It’s ok if you just want to install a short-term app like Vidyo, but if you want to install games and other apps, this is definitely not a good solution.