There are tons of guides and tutorials out there that show you how to hide photos on your iPhone. But unfortunately, most of them just mention the built-in photo hiding feature on iOS, right? I know with many users, it doesn’t make a lot of sense since hidden photos are still visible in the Hidden album and anyone can see it easily.
That’s why you’re reading this article today, my friend. In this article, I’m going to show you how to really and truly hide your photos on your iOS device. If you’ve been frustrated looking for a solid solution to actually prevent other people from viewing your private data like videos and photos, you’re in the right place. Let’s dig in!
First off, I want to introduce you to the photo hiding feature on iOS again (iOS 8 and newer) – in case you have no idea about it. Maybe you’ll find that using this feature alone is enough. If you already know about this stuff and want something more interesting and useful, just go through it to the next parts.
I. Using the photo hiding feature
Follow these steps:
- Open the Photos app and go to Moments or any Album.
- Tap on the Select button located at the top-right corner of the screen and then select the photos and videos you want to hide.
- Tap on the Share button, then select the Hide option. Once you’ve hidden your photos and videos, they will disappear from Moments, Collections and Years but you can find it in Albums easily. That’s the reason why many people think this feature is useless.
Accessing and Unhiding hidden photos and videos
- Open the Photos app and tap on the Albums tab.
- You can find your hidden photos in the All Photos album but if you want to see all your hidden photos at once, scroll down and open the album named Hidden.
- To unhide the photos, select them and tap on the Share button and then select Unhide. This will send all hidden photos back to Moments, Collections and Years, making them accessible through these views again.
- Related: How to record your iPhone’s screen
II. Using the Notes app to hide photos
Since iOS 9.3, Apple has added a new feature in the Notes app that allows users to lock down and secure their notes using Touch ID or a passcode. And while playing around with it, I came up with the idea of using the Notes app to lock down my photos by adding them to a note. Let’s see how to do it:
- Launch the Notes app and create a new note. Tap the plus sign button and add the photos you want to hide.
- Tap on the Share button at the top-right corner and select Lock Note. Be aware that notes with video file attachments cannot be locked.
- If this is the first time you use this feature, you’ll have to enter a password and a password hint. If you’d like to use Touch ID in addition to a password, leave the switch in the On position.
- Once you’ve locked the note, return to the Photos app, find the locked photos and delete them. You will not lose these photos because the Notes app saves the photos separately from the Photos app.
This solution is really helpful, right? Instead of saving your photos in the Photos app as usual, you can save them within notes and lock them down. You can also get the photos back to your album anytime you want by simply tapping the Share icon and selecting Save Image.
To change the password, navigate to Settings > Notes > Password > Change Password… If you do not remember the password, you can reset and create a new one easily, just tap on the Reset Password button, type in your Apple ID password when asked and you’re good to go.
- Related: How to save and view GIFs on iPhone
III. Using Photo & Video Vault Apps
Want some exclusive apps to keep your photos and videos safe? This section is for you. Here I’ve listed the most powerful vault apps that can help you protect your privacy by saving your private photos, videos, and documents and keeping them far away from other people’s eyes.
You can hide your photos by using the Notes app like I’ve shown. But since this app does not allow you to lock down notes containing videos, I think this is the best solution to actually hide videos in your Camera Roll.
Private Photo Vault (Free) – This is the most popular apps on AppStore when it comes to photo vault apps. Its name just tells you that it is used for hiding photos but actually, you can also use the app to hide videos as well.
To hide your files, follow these steps:
- Launch the app, you need to set a new passcode for the first time.
- Tap on the Albums tab and then tap the + button at the top-right corner to create a new album. You can also create passwords for individual albums.
- Select photos in Camera Roll and import them into Private Photo Vault. After importing, the app will ask you to delete the original photos and videos from the Photos app. Just hit Delete, now these photos and videos can only be accessed by using Private Photo Vault and it is protected by the passcode you set before.
Other good photo & video vault apps:
IV. Using Jailbreak Tweaks
If your device is already jailbroken, then all you have to do is install a jailbreak tweak. Let me introduce you to a good one.
PhotoAlbums+ ($4.99) is a jailbreak tweak integrated neatly into the stock Photos app. Features of the tweak are as follows:
- Private Albums and Folders with individual Passwords
- Folders – group Albums in Folders and build a complete folder structure
- Move photos instead of just copying them between Albums (except camera roll)
- Disable Recently Deleted – option to skip trash and directly delete photos
- Block automatic uploads to PhotoStream for Privacy
- Add any photo to PhotoStream
- Copy the Album Folders to your PC via USB (all Albums mapped, not only Camera Roll)