Wondering if there is a way to download videos from Tumblr to your iPhone? Well, the good news is there are various ways to do that actually. If you want to know the best one, then you’ve come to right place. In this article, I will show you the easiest way to save Tumblr videos for playing offline.
1. How to download videos from Tumblr to iPhone using Tyblr
I know Tyblr may sound a bit strange to you but it’s the name of the free app on the App Store that allows you to save Tumblr videos directly to your Camera Roll. [Download Link]
So far, I think this is the easiest and most convenient way. Once you’ve installed Tyblr on your device, launch the app and now you will see a new download button under each video that appears on your Tumblr feed.
Just tap on the download button and Tyblr will start downloading the video right away. Once the video is downloaded, Tyblr will ask for permission to access Camera Roll. Tap “Allow” to save the video to Camera Roll. This is only for the first time you download videos using this app.
2. How to download Tumblr videos using jailbreak tweaks
If you’ve jailbroken your device, then all you need to do is install the jailbreak tweak named Dwnldr.
After installing the tweak, it’s ready to work right away without any further configuration. Each time you see a video in the Tumblr app and want to download it, just tap and hold on it. The menu will appear offering you two download options: Save to Camera Roll & Save to Dwnldr Video Vault.
3. How to download videos from Tumblr on a computer
In this part, I will show you a few methods to save videos from Tumblr to your computer. You can then transfer them to your iPhone using iTunes as well.
The Inspect Method
If you’re using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, you can use the built-in inspect tool to find out the video source’URL. Here are the instructions:
- Right click on the Tumblr video you want to download, select “Inspect”
- When the HTML code is opened up, press CTRL + F to open the search box. Now type ‘mp4’ into the search box and press ENTER
- Pay attention to the element that has ‘mp4‘ inside. It’s something like this
<source src="https://abcxyz.tumblr.com/video_file/t:2DHc1ompfBG-ApJLgFo1DQ/159373865855/tumblr_oo4u0hV6Gb1uicr2q/480" type="video/mp4">
- The content which starts with ‘src=’ is the URL of the video. Right-click on it and select “Open in new tab”.
- A new tab will pop up, playing the video. Now all you have to do is right-click on the video and select “Save video as”. Change the name of the video if you want, select a folder where you want to save the video then click ‘Save’.
My favorite extension for downloading Tumblr videos on Google Chrome is Tumblr Video Downloader.
Once you’ve installed this extension, when you hover your mouse over a video, you will see a new large red download button on it. Just click on that button and the browser will start downloading the video immediately.
There are also many third-party websites out there that allow you to copy-paste Tumblr video links and get the download links. But I think these two methods are good enough. Using Extensions is for long-term use if you frequently need to download videos from Tumblr, while the inspect method can be used anytime, on any computer.